Devoted to her
Devoted To Her: Hot Southern Gentlemen, Book 3 by
Jeannie Roberts
My rating:
4 of 5 stars
I really enjoyed Devoted to Her. Going into the book, I expected the suspense element to play a bigger role, but this turned out to be much more of an emotional romance. The story is primarily about trauma, healing, family, and what it means to build a life when fear has controlled so many of your choices.
Grace's journey
Grace was easily the character I connected with most. Her history has shaped almost every part of her life. She has spent years deliberately making herself invisible, hiding behind oversized clothes and glasses, avoiding attention, and creating a routine where she feels safe and in control.
What I appreciated most was that the story doesn't treat meeting Boone as a magical solution. Grace doesn't suddenly stop being afraid because she's fallen in love. Her reactions continue to affect her, and she has to work through them gradually. Watching her become more comfortable with herself and start making decisions based on what she wants was the most satisfying part of the book for me.
Her recovery also feels connected to her past rather than being trauma inserted simply for dramatic effect. Her panic, avoidance, fear of men, and difficulty trusting others all make sense in the context of what she experienced growing up.
Boone and the romance
Boone worked particularly well as Grace's love interest because he never treats her fear as something he can simply bulldoze through. He's patient, listens to her, gives her choices, and pays attention to her boundaries.
That made their romance feel much more believable. His role isn't to rescue Grace from herself; instead, he creates an environment where she can begin trusting herself and making her own choices.
Their relationship isn't all heavy conversations either. I liked the softer moments between them and the little bits of teasing that gave the romance some playfulness. The misunderstanding when Boone asks whether Grace likes "getting dirty" was particularly cute.
The intimate scenes are similarly more about trust and choice than spice. That's what made them work for me, because the emotional context behind them matters much more to the story than how explicit they are.
Tate's role
One of the storylines I found more interesting than expected was Grace's relationship with her brother, Tate.
Tate isn't simply the stereotypical overprotective brother. His need to protect Grace is tied to the guilt he carries from their childhood, so looking after her has become part of how he sees himself.
That creates an interesting problem: even though his intentions are loving, protecting Grace can also mean preventing her from becoming independent. I liked seeing him come to terms with the fact that she doesn't need him to make every decision or shield her from the world. Sometimes loving someone means giving them the freedom to stand on their own.
That added some psychological depth to the family storyline and kept Tate from feeling like a one-dimensional protective-brother character.
The orchard and suspense
I also enjoyed the setting. The orchard, animals, farm work, and family/community atmosphere give Boone's side of the story a warm, cosy Southern feel. It makes his life feel established outside of his relationship with Grace, which helped the romance feel more grounded.
There is a secondary suspense plot involving Tony Kell and the threat surrounding the orchard. It comes more into focus later and gives the story some additional tension without completely taking over the romance.
I particularly liked what that storyline does for Grace's character. She gets opportunities to demonstrate that her development isn't just about feeling better around Boone. She's becoming someone who can face frightening situations without automatically returning to the frightened girl she used to be.
What didn't work as well
My biggest criticism is the pacing. There were times when I felt the story had already communicated an emotional point clearly, but then returned to it several more times.
There's a lot of internal reflection, particularly around Grace's trauma, Boone's feelings for her, and Tate's guilt. While those thoughts are relevant, I think some of them could have been trimmed without losing the emotional impact.
The writing itself is straightforward and easy to follow, although I occasionally felt that the emotional meaning of a scene was explained a little more than necessary.
Final thoughts
Overall, Devoted to Her was a very enjoyable emotional romance. What stayed with me most wasn't the suspense, but Grace's gradual journey toward feeling safe in her own life.
I liked that her healing wasn't instant, Boone wasn't written as someone who could simply fix everything for her, and Tate's relationship with Grace had its own emotional arc. The orchard setting and secondary suspense plot added variety without taking attention away from the central story.
This won't be my pick for someone looking for a fast-paced romantic suspense novel, but if you're in the mood for a gentler romance centred on healing, trust, family, and personal growth, I think it has a lot to offer.
4 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Geen opmerkingen:
Een reactie posten