woensdag 2 september 2026

Deeper Roots

Deeper Roots (The Root Series Book 2)Deeper Roots by Candace Nicole
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I actually really like dark content when the psychology behind it feels convincing, and Deeper Roots goes straight into obsession, manipulation, abuse, betrayal and control. The story clearly isn't trying to make the darkness comfortable; it uses it to create tension and keep you questioning what the characters are really capable of.

What interests me most is the psychological side of the characters. Carter, especially, is frightening because his violence isn't presented as a simple loss of temper. Bethany describes him as calculating and dangerous, which makes the threat feel much more deliberate. That's exactly the kind of thing I appreciate in a dark thriller: disturbing behaviour that actually makes psychological sense rather than characters suddenly acting irrationally just to create drama.

The story also has the kind of constant danger and escalation I enjoy. Kidnapping, stalking, coercion, violence, family betrayal and obsessive behaviour give it plenty of momentum. It's definitely not a feelgood book, but I don't need dark books to be feelgood when the darkness is handled well.

The writing is straightforward and dramatic, which suits the thriller genre.

My notes:
🖤 This is the kind of dark content I actually enjoy.
🧠 The psychological manipulation is much more interesting to me than darkness for shock value.
⚡ Plenty of serious things happen, so it keeps moving.
😬 Definitely disturbing in places—but that's a positive for me when it feels purposeful.

Verdict: 4/5 for me. The dark psychological elements are the biggest selling point. I especially like that the frightening behaviour feels deliberate and character-driven rather than randomly inserted for shock. This is much closer to the kind of psychological darkness I'd actively look for.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten